New Years Eve Reflections in E-Loville

This is the quiet time of year, before our guests arrive and the party starts, where I think about the year that has passed and reflect on life, and look forward to the year ahead. I have many resolutions, and I'm definitely looking forward to 2009. Not that 2008 has been a bad year by any means, but it hasn't been the greatest for me, personally. The upcoming year is going to focus a lot on me, personally and professionally. I know it seems like I focus on me a lot, but this is my blog. It's about me. In real life, my work and being a mom takes most of my time, and I've let my own needs slip a bit.

Resolution 1: Become more stylish.
This is really easier said than done. Since I started my job 2 years ago, I've really started to slack on what I wear every day. I used to have a specific style, and be kind of cute in how I dressed. But now, since my work environment is so casual, I've taken to wearing jeans and hoodies every day. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just feel the need to get a little of my groove back.

Resolution 2: Take better care of myself.
There's a lot behind this resolution. Everyone knows my weight struggle since become a mom and a full time computer sitter. Everyone also knows my struggle with my self image. I'm going to work on that. A lot. Of course this year might find me with Fuzzball number 2 in my uterus, so we'll see how that goes. But a big part of this is eating healthier. Not dieting, per se, but I need to start cooking more. I WANT to start cooking more. I'm sick of the same old shit we eat every day. I may become a culinary genius like my brother.

This resolution also contains me getting my eyes fixed. I have a doctor's appointment on January 9 to see about getting lasik surgery. Which means 2 months of wearing glasses full time, since I've worn gas permeable contacts for 20 years. My eyes are the suck. But hopefully I'll get some cute frames and go from there. I have $1500 set aside for this.

Resolution 3: No spending $$ on stupid shit.
I get a lot of slack from my husband for this, so I'm going to taper down my spending.

Resolution 4: Get organized.
Our house is usually pile after pile of crap. When there's nowhere to put more crap, the piles become bigger. We got a jumpstart on this already by taking a huge load over to Goodwill yesterday, and we're going to write that off on our taxes. Not only did we lighten our load quite a bit, but we also cleaned out some much needed space. This also includes getting our house into some order. Redecorating is in my future.

And I think that's really it. Resolution-wise. I have lots of things I'm looking forward to this upcoming year, like maybe trying to get pregnant (yes, actually trying instead of just accidentally doing it!), traveling a bit (hopefully we'll get to go see Greg and Starr soon - who I miss a lot right now, because they're in New York and they're usually at my house for New Years. *sniff*), and who knows what else?

It's strange how when the holiday season ends, the first day of the new year kind of feels cold and empty, doesn't it? Or is it just me? Maybe it has something to do with the weather, or the fact that you might have a bit of a hangover, or just that you have nothing much to look forward to (except all the life changing resolutions that will last about a week). But tonight - tonight is the one night of the year when I know I'll ship my kiddo off to my mama's and be able to live it up. Tonight is about friends and being together. And who cares what tomorrow brings... whether it's good or bad, tonight I get to just be me. Erica. Not mom, not graphic designer, not instructor - just goofy me.

And that feels good. But just for tonight.

Happy New Year!

Comments

Popular Posts