Bye bye July...

This month has flown, and I've been incredibly busy. I've taken on the task of being the official photographer for the shelter, so I take pictures of dogs and cats every Thursday for the website. Not as easy as it sounds. There's a ton of editing to be done, and lots of resizing. Ugh. Why do I do it? Because I want to. Keep repeating that mantra.

In other animal news, my cat had kittens over the weekend. It happened while I was at the Foo Fighters concert - not that I'm a big fan of the Foos, but the opening band was Year Long Disaster, and Ryan's singer happens to be the brother in law of the bass player, Rich Mullins, which is a wonderful contact to have when you're a wannabe rock star. Soon YLD will be touring with Motorhead and the Misfits, and can anyone say "OMG!" I want to go to that one. Check them out - they're awesome. And I'm not just saying that because they may be my ticket to housewifedom. Or touringwiththebandwifedom.

Anyway, I knew Boots was in labor before I left. She was lying on her back, big belly out, meowing. I stopped and rubbed her belly, I felt the kittens move, and I knew it was going to happen. Needless to say, we got home later that night and Boots appeared in the kitchen. Ryan looked at her, then looked at me, and said, "you might want to see if there are kittens somewhere, because the cat is looking awful skinny." He was right, her rotundness was gone, and she was back to skinny cat.

If you're wondering how this all happened, it's because Boots got out of the house a few times. She's a mostly inside cat, so I wasn't terribly worried about her. After she escaped a few times, I called about getting her spayed, but the vet wouldn't take payments - and we were still trying to get caught up from Ryan being laid off over the winter. And that's how we ended up with FOUR kittens.

I found them under the guest room bed, and I was surprised to see that there was no mess involved, Boots had cleaned up everything. Yesterday I moved them into a box with a hole cut out of the side so Boots can get in and out. The instinct of animals is amazing to me, she ate the placenta, snipped their umbilical cords, and was cleaning and feeding them. All of them seem healthy, and that's great. I hope they stay that way. There are three orange tabby looking ones (the triplets) and one black one with white feet and a white belly - like boots only minus the orange markings. Those might develop later. They're very cute, and Lyric of course is in heaven. She loves baby animals. It's tough to keep her away from them for too long, but I told her as long as she only looks and doesn't touch, it's ok.

Last night I was getting into bed and Lyric and Ryan were talking about how the kittens were in Boots' belly and now they're out. She turned to him and said, "Baby in Mommy's belly too? PLEASE???"

Hmm. That darn biological clock.

Comments

Popular Posts