Welcome to relaxing November... ahh...

October was a crazy month for me. I had a wedding, a big tradeshow, and our company's leadership conference, all in a two week span. On Halloween I returned from Colonial Williamsburg, where I resided for 5 nights at the Kingsmill Resort and Spa, home of the leadership conference that I busted my ass on for 5 days and nights straight. I don't think I've ever worked a 16 hour day until last week. Hmm. Now I know how Ryan feels, because honestly, I didn't sit. Once. And when I hit my bed at night to get a mere 4 hours of measly sleep to rest up to get back at it at 4:30 in the morning, I was out like someone hit me in the face with a sledgehammer.



Colonial Williamsburg (or CW, as the locals call it) was pretty cool. I was excited to go there - probably because I'm a nerd and I like history, and the highlight of my trip was getting to go to an old school tavern for dinner - The Kings Arm - where we were serenaded by a woman playing a mandolin... and I ate peanut soup. Good stuff. We had a group of 300 or so managers from our company and we were greeted and led down the cobblestone street by a colonial drum and fife corp - and after dinner we went on a ghost tour, which was fitting for Halloween.



Pictures will follow as soon as I get the 400 from my work camera uploaded.



I'm just happy to have the busy work crap behind me and be able to relax and enjoy the upcoming holidays - and Lyric's 2nd birthday. Which is on Thanksgiving this year, incidentally.



*********************************************

Remember last year when I got a dog? Yeah, and he was nuts? Well, I've been unsuccessfully trying to talk Ryan into getting another pet - be it guinea pig (no rodents), cat (allergic), bunny (maybe), or dog (NO DOGS). It's not working.



I've said this time and time again, but I've always wanted a dog. It's distressing that my first dog was kind of a disapointment... ok, a major dispointment, since he was totally not suitable for my couch potato family. Lyric and I went to the Humane Society the other day and met this fellow:




He was the sweetest little guy ever. Not too big, not too small. Very laid back and kind of shy. He liked laying down. He took more of an interest to Lyric than myself... but he warmed up to me after playing for a bit. The Humane Society calls him Snickers, and he was rescued from a shelter in Ohio that was closing down and had to put their remaining animals down. I showed Ryan the pictures I took on my phone of him and Lyric playing, and his reaction was like a punch in the gut - a staunch "I don't care." I could have cried. There is definitely a part of me that is missing without a full time animal in my life, because I've always been an animal person. I thought Ryan was the same way, but he's really proving not to be, and that's kind of hurtful to know. It's almost like not agreeing on how many kids to have. Well, maybe not that extreme, but I'm really starting to feel like the guy I married has no heart. That its turned to stone. It really makes me sad that we don't share the same ideals when it comes to this. If it were up to me I'd probably have a house full of animals - at least, that's how I always pictured it when I was growing up.


I'm just having some issues over this right now, I guess. Mostly because we fought about it all weekend, and really, there hasn't been a weekend that's gone by that we haven't fought about something stupid in a long time.


I'm questioning a lot about my life these days and how I really want things to be, and how I get things to be the way I want them. So sorry for putting all this out there, but I'm starting to get to that level where change is inevitable - and that means either making changes to myself or sinking into a deep dark hole that will be hard to get myself out of. So this is me stepping towards the light.


Yesterday I filled out an application to become a Humane Society volunteer, so that's step one in making a positive change.


Did any of this make sense at all???

Comments

Popular Posts