Lightweight Mama

I look forward to Fridays these days, because typically Fridays are the days that I allow myself to drink a few beers and let my stringent, anxiety-ridden motherhood persona somewhat drift away for a bit. Sometimes life gets a little overwhelming for me, and I know what it feels like to be a single mom, because with Ryan working 70+ hours a week, I'm left to do it all. Thank goodness my mom and dad will take Lyric at the drop of a hat. I don't like to keep score, but sometimes I count the days that Ryan goes without changing a diaper.

Listen to me. I've been home with my baby for a week and I'm already on the edge of the cliff. Pathetic!

Some people think that babies get easier the older they get, but I'm here to tell you, that's simply not true. Now that Lyric is mobile, she gets into everything. She hates having her diaper changed, and since she's developed a case of baboon ass (read: diaper rash) it's even harder, because there are multiple steps involved in the diaper changing process. If I'm lucky enough to wipe the poop off her butt and get the diaper cream on, she's taking off running, smearing the Triple Paste all over my area rug. The same rug that she's pooped on several times.

I bet all my friends can't wait to come over and walk on that rug in their bare feet.

Last Saturday my cousin and her daughter offered their babysitting services. They came to our house and stayed with Lyric while Ryan and I went out. We went out to eat, then decided to stop at this party that we were invited to. Unfortunately, I didn't know when to stop with the beer. I wasn't wasted by any means, I think I may have had 4 beers, and mentally I felt pretty clear, but I was glad not to be driving. We got home around midnight after having a pretty good time. Ok, we had a great time. I don't get to go out often enough, so when I do, it's all new and shiny and exciting. Luckily, Lyric had been sleeping for a few hours when we got home, so I meandered up to bed and when I put my head on the pillow, my head spun. I calculated the amount of beer that I had and it just didn't add up. 4 beers is making my head spin?

I used to be able to drink a lot more than that.

Lucky for me, Lyric didn't make a peep until about 8:30, and then she slept with us until about 9:30. She's very accommodating to her drunk mother.

Have a great weekend.

Comments

Popular Posts