7 months of mommyhood



That's right. Lyric is officially 7 months. That means I've kept her thriving for over half a year. I'm good, what can I say?

In the past month or so I've seen a dramatic change in my daughter. I used to be a little scared to take her out in public, not because she's embarrassing or has warts on her face or anything, but because she had the tendency to get fussy and I used to be one of those childless people who wanted to jump off a cliff when someone's baby started screaming in public. Now that I'm a mom, when I hear a baby crying in public, my immediate reaction is that I want to help. But I restrain myself because if I ran to pick up a screaming baby that wasn't mine, I'd probably get myself beat up. People tend to dislike when strangers touch their baby. I should know.

These days when we go out, Lyric is all smiles. She's such a charmer. And a flirt! We went to Target the other day, and all my old co-workers were there, so we stopped and said hi to everyone. She was grinning ear to ear and showing off her teeth the whole time.

Tonight I will take her to a Catholic church for the first time ever. If my grandmother was alive, she'd probably smack me because I haven't had Lyric baptized. Then she'd smack me because I'm no longer Catholic. Anyway, we're not going for mass, but for a wedding rehearsal that Ryan is a part of. He's doing a reading, and I find that funny, because he's not Catholic, never has been, and is not even vaugely religious. Yesterday he bought a sticker for our van that says "what would Ozzy do?" Seriously. But tomorrow is a Catholic wedding and that will be the test for my girl. If she can hold out during that, she might be able to bring about world peace. We'll see.

Comments

Popular Posts