Fightin’ Authority

Some people say I'm obnoxious and lazy
That I'm uneducated and my opinion means nothin'
But I know I'm a real good dancer
Don't need to look over my shoulder to see what I'm after…
Everybody's got their problems-ain't no new news here

I'm the same old trouble you've been having for years
Don't confuse the problem with the issue, girl,
'Cause it's perfectly clear
Just a human desire to have you come near
Want to put my arms around you
Feel your breath in my ear
You can bend me You can break me But you better stand clear

When the walls come tumblin' down...


Holy shit, kids. I’m one tired E-Lo today but I’m one happy and contented E-Lo too. Repeat after me: John Mellencamp is PHENOMENAL. And that’s all there is to that. I wasn’t all that excited about John Fogerty, but he was awesome too. I forgot that I really like CCR.

This morning, as I was blow drying my hair with one eye open (much like I did in my college days when I’d go out drinking all night and have class the next morning at 8), I thought, you know, I might be kind of old, and kind of out of style, but I don’t even care. I’ve tried to like all the cool, modern “underground” (you know, the stuff you can buy at Target) music, but there is nothing better than the ROOTS. You know? Just plain old, straight, ass kicking rock n roll. I can’t really get into the stuff of today, so I gave it up. I’m much happier listening to Mellencamp over Modest Mouse, Queen over Queens of the Stone Age, AC/DC over the Arcade Fire, the Clash over Coldplay. I could keep going with that, but for annoyance’s sake, I won’t. Don’t get me wrong, there’s a lot of good music around these days, but it just doesn’t compare. It’s like putting on a tight yet stylish pair of jeans when you have comfy pajama bottoms that you could wear instead.

I’ll just say that Mellencamp rocked, and if you ever get a chance to see him, even if you’re not all that into him, GO. You won’t regret it. In fact, you’ll love it. You’ll become a believer. There is always such a positive vibe in the air when he plays. It’s amazing. The worst part of the show? The kids standing next to us in the lawn. There was a group of frat boy types that were way too loaded for their own good (hopefully they were all driving themselves home). They were drunk and swaying and stumbling and kept taking their shirts off and putting their arms around each other. I happened to look over at one point and saw a penis. Yep, one of the kids turned around to face his friends, whipped his dick out and pissed in his cup. At that point I was cursing myself that I didn’t have a camera phone, because you know damn well that you would have seen that kids thing here, on the internet. If you’re fine about showing it to me, then I guess it doesn’t matter if the whole world sees it, right? Anyway, that started a chain reaction of all the boys peeing in public. It’s like they were never potty trained. Quite disgusting. Luckily, they weren’t around long. One of them fell over and security asked them to move. Just in time, too, because Ryan was getting ready to kick some ass (he’s so protective of me now, it’s very endearing). After that it was smooth sailing the rest of the night. And it was SO GOOD.

Mellencamp plays non-stop. Every song has a big finish then the band just launches right into the next song. This was my third time seeing him, and this was just his bare bones band. I’ve seen him with a bunch of back up singers and different musicians, but this time was just guitar, bass, drums, violin, keyboards, and a backup vocal. And it was great. He did a couple of acoustic songs with John Fogerty too, which were awesome, my favorite CCR song, Green River, and a great rendition of Rain on the Scarecrow. . He played all of his old songs, and very few new ones. R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A. was so punk rock it hurt. He finished up with Check it Out and Pink Houses. Then as always after a Mellencamp show, there were fireworks. Even those were awesome. They were better than any fireworks display I had seen all weekend. So the show finished on a high note. It was great. And Fuzzball repeatedly kicked the crap out of me.

I was worried all day that it was going to storm, since while I was at work there was really intense thunder and lightening and buckets of rain coming down. But not a drop fell while we were there. It was damp and muddy, but not raining. When we got home at around 1:00, we noticed that one of our chairs was moved in front of the door, which was strange, and a few of our plants were knocked over. We thought the chair was kind of weird, since it was like someone had picked it up and moved it there, but we didn’t think much of it since we were so tired. This morning I went out on the porch to drain my peppers, which are pretty much flooded and on the verge of death from all the rain we’ve had. My rosemary and leaf lettuce are both dead, and the only thing I’ve got left that looks healthy are my tomatoes. So I was trying to drain the peppers so I could maybe salvage them, and I noticed some strange things in our yard. All of my wildflowers and lilies were FLAT. Like someone had just rolled over them. I also have a basket hanger that’s a metal pole with 2 hooks that I have baskets hanging on. It’s in the ground, so you can imagine how surprised I was to see bent to the point that the top of it was touching the ground. A metal pole, bent. As I was holy shitting my way through that, I turned around to our neighbors yard to see a WHOLE TREE down right on the edge of the field. Then another tree down in our lane. There was a HELL of a storm at my house. I’m lucky the shack is still standing. I don’t know if a microburst went through my neighborhood or what, but it’s really weird about the pole and the trees.
___________________________________
I have a lot to talk about this week. There’s a lot on my mind. Some of it is stuff that is aggravating me, some of it is just plain funny.

Here are some of my upcoming topics:
Why you shouldn’t tell people the baby names you picked and how annoying it is when people are gunning for the baby to be a certain sex.
How I survived being left for dead in the rapids of the Clarion River.
What to do when your friend tells you your ass is getting bigger.
The way my drunk dad tried to pronounce “libertarian.”

Pictures of stuff!
And much much more!

In the meantime…

No I cannot forget where it is that I come from
I cannot forget the people who love me
Yeah, I can be myself here in this small town
And people let me be just what I want to be

Yeah.

Comments

Popular Posts