Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker

I wish you could all see the donut that I’m stuffing my maw with right now. It’s almost as big as my head, covered with gooey chocolate, and filled with sugary white globs of goodness.

Speaking of sweets, today is the release of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which I’m excited to see. Mainly because I love Johnny Depp, but I simply cannot compare him to Gene Wilder. I love every single Gene Wilder movie ever (although I haven’t even seen half of them). Yesterday during a meeting my boss and I started talking about Young Frankenstein, and I started singing “Puttin’ on the Ritz” like the monster does in the movie. It was one of my more shining career moments. Anyway, on the Today show this morning, Katie and Matt were asking kids what they preferred this weekend, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, or Harry Potter. All the kids that didn’t like reading said the movie, but they were beat out by the Harry Potter kids. Big surprise there.

My question is, how CAN kids be excited about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? I mean, the original came out in 1971. That’s 6 years before I was even born. Kids won’t fully appreciate this movie, even if they’ve seen the original. Kids are spoiled these days with computer animation and cool special effects, so seeing the 1971 version isn’t going to impress them. But how can they get the full effect of the movie without appreciating the original? I suppose they could be like me, and actually read the book. I read the book long before I ever saw the movie. I don’t think I saw the movie until I was in high school, and I’m fairly certain I was stoned silly. But I still saw the genius behind it, even if I was terrified of the Oompa Loompas. There are some crazy scary parts of that movie. And that’s what kids will be missing in the new version, I’m sure.

Back to sweets again, (now that I’ve finished the donut) let me tell you about putting on one of my lovely Old Navy maternity tunics today. Yeah, it’s almost too small. I don’t like that at all. And I started doing a new prenatal workout DVD last night and was surprised that it actually made me sweat. Not a single workout that I’ve been doing has accomplished that, so I’m sticking with this one. I have bumps on my body that I never knew could have bumps, and my boobs are almost as big as my head. So working out is a grand idea. But back to the new DVD. It has a section where you stretch your calf muscles, which is supposed to help prevent those nasty leg cramps you get in the middle of the night (for some reason, you get them more often when you’re pregnant). So naturally, having had a few middle of the night sessions of writhing around on my bed in pain, unable to do anything at all until my calf muscle relaxed itself, I was like, “sweet, this is just what I need.” So I happily did the calf stretches, and wouldn’t you just know it? At 3:30 this morning I woke up, stretched out a little, and boom, my left calf muscle starting spazzing out. Once it calmed down I reasoned that walking it off would do some good, so I made a trip to the bathroom. Of course when I came back, I couldn’t sleep again. I think I finally dozed off a half hour later, and had a dream about teaching a baby cheetah how to swim. Uh huh. But my leg is still sore as hell. It only happens when I think about it. Last time I got a leg cramp was after reading a post about eating bananas to help out with leg cramps, and I thought, “gee, I haven’t had any leg cramps.” My body responded with a big “fuck you” to me that night.

And just when I didn’t want to make any plans this weekend, my husband starts making them for me. Tonight we’re either going to the drive in to see Land of the Dead (not my choice, since I HATE zombie movies) or going to a Blues Festival or staying home and listening to the radio (and hopefully moving furniture so that I have a place to put my crib tomorrow). Have I mentioned that I need a vacation?

One more thing, this picture. I don't know where this came from or who to credit for it (other than the woman who posted it on the pregnancy discussion board), but I found it so beautiful and moving that I had to share (of course, it could just be my hormones).

Kitty


Have a good weekend. Mine will be wet, hot, and sticky. Because of the weather, you pervs.

Comments

Popular Posts