ALF: Autumn Leaf Freak

I’m in the process of mentally and physically preparing myself for the upcoming weekend. Yes, I know it’s only Monday, but the weekend coming up is the weekend that I look forward to every year. Technically it begins for me on Wednesday, the day my vacation begins. I start gearing up for the Autumn Leaf Festival usually somewhere in late August. As you can see here in my previous ALF post from August.

As I get a little bit older, I know things are going to be different from the years that I was in college, walking the streets of Clarion at night, drunk, of course, going from party to party, then walking home and passing out. This year, I’ll be with a bunch of my other married friends, and of course, the "not yet married" friends. It’s weird how that becomes a way to classify your single friends once you’re married. The weekend will also involve driving, from the bar, to other parties, to my camp, which is 15 minutes outside of town. That means that at least one of us will have to stay somewhat sober (and it's not going to be me!). And I’m sure everyone will have different ideas about what they want to do, so our little group will inevitably be spilt apart, which is another new thing.

The bad thing about anticipation is that if things don’t go the way you hope, you’ll be let down. Hopefully I’ll be drunk enough not to care. I always envision things to go a certain way, and when they don’t go that way, I end up disappointed. Selfish bitch that I am. I have to just learn to roll with the punches and make every situation the best it can be. I know, I’m over analyzing a weekend of partying. Holy crap. But it never fails for me that there is at least one part of the weekend where there is a little bit of tension on my part, usually because of what other people are doing to screw up my good time. But I’m just going to take a deep breath this year and relax. Because I don’t have to worry about anything. I’m not going to worry about work, I’m not going to worry about paying bills, I’m not going to worry about finding a new job, heck, I’m not even going to worry about politics (except on Thursday night, I can’t miss the debate!). I’m not going to worry about having a good time, because I know I’ll have fun.

The problem with me is that I don’t know how to relax. I’m wound tighter than Pee-Wee Hermans’ rubber band ball. Sometime I just drop my shoulders and go, "oh, that’s what’s causing my neck to hurt. Hmm, maybe I’ll try that again later." I always have to be doing something, moving and accomplishing some goal. More than likely that’s the reason I never really accomplish anything.

So the moral of the story is, this weekend I’m going to have a blast. It’s inescapable, because I’ve been looking forward to it for so long. I’m going to walk the streets of Clarion, eat greasy food, drink lots of beer, and enjoy the company of friends that I don’t see very often. Because that’s what it’s all about, man.

I hate it when my posts turn themselves into a monster, when my brain and fingers take over. Ack, I’m doing it again! Relax, E-Lo! Breathe!

Three more days of work before the debauchery officially begins!

Comments

Popular Posts